Requirements for obtaining a marriage license
- If a person is 18 years or older and a U.S. citizen, only a valid driver’s license is required for identification.
- If a person is a non-U.S. citizen, a passport and a valid VISA are both required for identification.
- If a person is between the ages of 16 and 18, both parents are required to come in to sign permission. If there is only one presiding parent, then that parent must bring legal proof of divorce with full custody or a death certificate. Legal guardians that are not the parents must bring a certified copy of the court-appointed guardianship.
- Both parties must be present.
- For an application for marriage license, click on the corresponding link listed under Forms
Legalities regarding marriage licenses
- Marriage licenses are valid for 30 days only.
- An Alabama marriage license may be purchased in any county.
- A marriage license obtained at this office, or any other in the state, can only be used in Alabama.
Fees – CASH ONLY
- License fee: $59.00
Ceremony fee: $5.00
Photo courtesy of Drake & Drake Photography
No appointment is necessary; service is on a first come, first serve basis
Office hours for the Marriage License Department: 8:30 am until 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday
Information needed to obtain a certified copy of a marriage license
Note: You may only obtain a certified copy of a marriage license that was purchased in Madison County.
- If the marriage was between the years of 1809 – April 2004 you may search our online records or call 256-532-2347.
- If the marriage was between the years of May 2004 – present, call the Marriage License Department of Madison County at 256-532-3342.
- Send a written request including the groom’s full name, bride’s full name and maiden name, and the date of the marriage.
- Include a check or money order in the full amount.
- For marriage records from 1809 – April 2004, mail to:
Madison County Public Library
C/O 3rd Floor Records Center
915 Monroe Street
Huntsville, AL 35804
- For marriage records from May 2004 – present, mail to:
Madison County Probate Judge’s Office
C/O Marriage License Department
100 North Side Square
Huntsville, AL 35801
Fees for certified copies:
- $2.00 per certified copy